Configuring Gmail in Outlook Express using POP3 Server!!
Below, we will detail how to setup Microsoft Office Outlook 2000 or higher to send, receive and store email messages for a Gmail address. Before getting started, please make sure you know your Gmail email address and your Gmail password.
Start Outlook: from the main Outlook window, go to Tools -> Email Accounts.
On the next screen, you will have to specify your Outlook Gmail settings, such as your Gmail username and password, Gmail server addresses, Gmail server ports and Outlook Gmail display name.
- On the User Information section, enter your Name (it can be anything, but remember this is going to be the name/text that people will see when you will send them an email via your Outlook Gmail account) and your Gmail email address.
- On the Server Information section, enter the Google Gmail servers:
– Incoming mail server: pop.gmail.com
– Outgoing mail server: smtp.gmail.com. As an alternative, you may setup any other outgoing mail server that you have access to, such as your ISP’s SMTP server or your own hosted outgoing server. However, if you setup a 3rd party outgoing mail server, you will not have access to sent emails via your web based Gmail account panel.
- On the Logon Information section, enter your Gmail User Name (which is the same as your Gmail email address) and your Gmail password. Tick the box “Remember password” in order to make Outlook to store the Gmail password, so it will not ask you about it every time when Outlook will send/receive emails for the Gmail account.
- Click on the “More Settings” button and go to the “Advanced” window tab.
– On the “Incoming server (POP3)” field, enter 995 and mark the box “This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)”;
– On the “Outgoing server (SMTP)” field, enter 465 and mark the box “This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)”.
You can also change the server timeouts period: this defines the time interval for which Outlook will wait to establish a Gmail connection, before triggering a connection error. The slower your Internet connection is, the greater period you should put
The “Delivery” options are not important for an Outlook Gmail account: no matter what you would change here, Gmail will always keep a copy of each email on the Gmail server.
To verify your Outlook Gmail setup, click on the “Test Account Settings” button: this will make Outlook to attempt to login to your Gmail account and to send & receive an Outlook test email. If the test will succeed, you will notice the test email in your Outlook Inbox folder. If the test fails, Outlook will prompt you with the error messages – most likely, you didn’t setup the correct server settings or the Gmail password is wrong.
How to Remove Gmail Email Account :
- On the Tools menu, click E-mail Accounts.
- Click View or change existing e-mail accounts, and then click Next.
- Click the Gmail e-mail account you want to remove, and then click Remove.
- Click Finish.
Note You can export your Outlook Contacts as a Comma Separated Values (.csv) file and import your contacts into your Gmail account.